My Sweetheart and I have been married for six and a half years yet this Valentine’s Day will only be our third year celebrating the holiday. Weird, right?
Why did we start celebrating a holiday that we once decided we didn’t need to? Well, honestly, my husband lost his job almost three years ago. (He has since opened his own independent pharmacy!) Since then, we have had to learn how to live more frugally and cut things out of our budget. We decided that we would no longer give each other Christmas gifts or birthday gifts and just choose one holiday to do something nice for each other. We chose Valentine’s Day.
Because we are still on a tight budget we still have to be creative to make this day special. Our first year I needed to think outside the box – especially because my man is a Valentine’s Day hater. I thought about how we do a Christmas advent calendar for our children, and then it hit me, “why not do a countdown to Valentine’s Day for my man.” I got to work thinking of different ways to make this idea work.
I wanted this to be meaningful for my husband. To spoil him with love for the days leading up to Valentine’s Day. Just maybe he wouldn’t hate it so much. I decided on starting this countdown on the first day of February but you could just do a week prior if that works better for you.
Each morning, my husband gets to open up one of his hearts and see what his surprise is for the day. The great thing about this is how personal the surprises can be. I like to pick a variety of things to keep him guessing, that’s the fun of it for us! You want to mix it up so that he doesn’t know if that day is going to be a risque surprise, a food surprise or at-home date night surprise. Because of that, the suspense of waiting to open up the next heart is always there for the whole 2 weeks! Because we all know what they really want to open. So keep him guessing.
This will be the one tradition that your husband will LOVE and look forward to every year. It is the perfect way to make him feel special, loved, and important. If you’re looking for a frugal idea to celebrate Valentine’s Day or you want to make things a little more steamy this tradition is for you. It certainly won’t hurt your marriage, now will it. 😉
Valentine’s Day Advent Calendar
Valentine’s Day printables (printer friendly version available!)
If you don’t want to use the printables you’ll need: 13 Index cards
Pen or Marker
Twine and Clothespins or Tape (for hanging)
1. Brainstorm 13 ideas that would be meaningful to your man. Split up his favorite foods as well as some steamy surprises that you know he would like. Be sure to pick things that you know your man would love but they don’t happen very often. Day 14 will be your date night on Valentine’s Day!
2. Write down one idea per heart or on each index card.
3. Put each index card inside an envelope. This ensures that there is no peeking throughout the weeks. Because you know he will want to peek as soon as he gets a risque heart!
4. Tape the numbered hearts over each envelope.
5. Decoratively hang them up in your bedroom. This is a special thing for Mama and Daddy so keeping it private is key.
I like to hang them up over our bed. Some years I hang them with twine and clothespins; other years I have just taped them up decoratively. It depends on my mood! Choose what works best for you and your space.
6. Each morning your man gets to open up one heart and you make that action happen within the next 24 hours! A lot of times I tend to know what dessert or dinner my husband will pick so I try to have those ingredients on hand; if he surprises me I head out that morning to grab supplies. Knowing that I am making his day makes it so worth it!
This Valentine’s Day advent calendar will make your marriage stronger and deeper. It will become your husband’s favorite time of the year, trust me! Communicating to your man that he is the most important person in your life and that you are willing to make small sacrifices throughout the day to make him feel loved will be sure to strengthen your marriage. Plus, we don’t have to break the bank to have a special holiday!
So be creative and make his holiday amazing this year!
Your turn! Do you think your man will love this idea? Are you ready to whip this calendar now?!
This post may be linked up with any of these blogs.